Information for foreign-trained medical sonographers

English: Kings Cove Head Lighthouse, Kings Cov...
English: Kings Cove Head Lighthouse, Kings Cove, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada Lat./Long 48.57, -53.32 (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

(3216) Verified: 2011 04 07

Information on requirements to practise

Diagnostic medical sonographers are not formally regulated in Canada, but the accepted standard of proficiency is registry with the Canadian Association of Registered Diagnostic Ultrasound Professionals(CARDUP) and/or the American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonographers (ARDMS).
Foreign-trained medical sonographers who desire more information about practising their profession in Canada should contact:
Canadian Society of Diagnostic Medical Sonographers (CSDMS)
P.O. Box 1220
Kemptville ON   K0G 1J0   Canada
Phone : 613-258-0855
Phone (alternate): 1-888-273-6746
Fax : 613-258-0899
Fax (alternate): 1-888-743-2952
Email : 
Information about the Canadian Diagnostic Ultrasound Registry and details on requirements for foreign-trained sonographers may be found on the CARDUP Web site at

Information on assessment of qualifications

Please note that the Canadian Society of Diagnostic Medical Sonographers does not assess foreign qualifications. For this purpose, you may consult our Fact Sheet No. 2, which has been compiled to help individuals learn more about how to obtain an assessment of their qualifications for employment purposes in Canada. We draw to your attention the list of evaluation services in question 4 in this fact sheet. You may contact any of them for expert advice on how qualifications obtained abroad compare with credentials obtained in Canada. Please note that these assessments are advisory only and do not guarantee recognition of your qualifications for employment or licensure purposes in Canada.

Information on assessment for immigration purposes, under the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP)

The Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP) is an immigration program administered by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC), the department responsible for immigration to Canada.
CIC has listed this profession (NOC 3216) as an eligible occupation under the FSWP. To apply for immigration to Canada under this program, one of the requirements* is to obtain an “Educational Credential Assessment” (ECA) for immigration purposes from a CIC-designated organization. We invite you to communicate directly with one of the designated organizations to begin this process from outside Canada.
*It is important to note that this requirement is for immigration purposes only. It is separate from the process to obtain a license to practice from the relevant regulatory body listed below. Obtaining a license to practice is not required to apply for immigration.

Other relevant information

For a general description of duties and employment requirements, you can refer to the information prepared by Human Resources and Skills Development Canada regarding:

Specific Provincial/Territorial Information

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to our newsletter

Recommended Books