Information for foreign-trained cardiology technologists

English: Sir Howard Douglas Hall - the Old Art...
English: Sir Howard Douglas Hall - the Old Arts building on the University of New Brunswick Campus in Canada. Français : Université du Nouveau-Brunswick (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

(3217) Verified: 2010 07 16

Information on requirements to practise

The occupation of cardiology technologist is not regulated in Canada except in New Brunswick, where technologists are required to be registered with the New Brunswick Society of Cardiology Technologists. To practise in Canada, it is preferable for cardiology technologists to be registered with the Canadian Society of Cardiology Technologists (CSCT).
Affiliated with the Canadian Cardiovascular Society (CCS), the CSCT is the self-governing body that sets the standards for the profession and administers the examination and certification process for membership in the society. You may consult their CSCT Hand Guide about examination policies and procedures.

Information on assessment of qualifications

Foreign-trained cardiology technologists may contact the CSCT for an evaluation of their qualifications prior to arrival in Canada.
You should note that if you are already licensed to practise your occupation in a province or territory of Canada, and later wish to work in a non-regulated occupation, employers may request that you provide them with a formal assessment of your academic credentials.
If that is the case, or if you wish to have your credentials assessed for a purpose other than practising a regulated occupation in Canada, you may consult our Fact Sheet No. 2, "Assessment and recognition of credentials for the purpose of employment in Canada" and contact an academic credential evaluation service. Although evaluation services offer expert advice on how qualifications obtained abroad compare with academic credentials obtained in Canada, their evaluations are advisory only and do not guarantee recognition of your qualifications for employment or certification purposes in Canada. Please note that evaluation services charge a fee for their assessments.

Information on assessment for immigration purposes, under the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP)

The Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP) is an immigration program administered by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC), the department responsible for immigration to Canada.
CIC has listed this profession (NOC 3217) as an eligible occupation under the FSWP. To apply for immigration to Canada under this program, one of the requirements* is to obtain an “Educational Credential Assessment” (ECA) for immigration purposes from a CIC-designated organization. We invite you to communicate directly with one of the designated organizations to begin this process from outside Canada.
*It is important to note that this requirement is for immigration purposes only. It is separate from the process to obtain a license to practice from the relevant regulatory body listed below. Obtaining a license to practice is not required to apply for immigration.

Other relevant information

For a general description of duties and employment requirements, you can refer to the information prepared by Human Resources and Skills Development Canada regarding:

Specific Provincial/Territorial Information


You may also be interested in the CICIC information pages for:
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to our newsletter

Recommended Books