The Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP) is a highly popular route to Canadian Permanent Residency. Applicants to the program with specific, proven skills can come to Canada to live and work. To be eligible, applicants must have one-year full-time or equivalent part-time work experience in the past 10 years in one of 50 eligible occupations. A maximum of 25,000 applications will be accepted for review, with a cap of 1000 for each individual occupation, and they are filling up quickly. Click here to view the current number of applications received by the government for each of the 50 eligible occupations.
All successful applicants are selected based upon the need for their skills in the Canadian labour market, and their likelihood of becoming economically established in Canada. Workers who come to Canada through the program have a high chance of finding high-paying jobs in their field, and settling in Canada quickly.
In the last edition of CIC News, we profiled 25 of the 50 eligible occupations for the FSWP. Listed below are the remaining 25 eligible occupations and their National Occupation Codes (NOC):
1. Software Engineers and Designers (NOC 2173)
Job Description: Software engineers and designers research, design, and develop software applications, technical environments, embedded software, information warehouses, and telecommunications software.
Average Salary: $58,041 per year
- Software Design Engineer
- Software Testing Engineer
- Telecommunications Software Engineer
2. Computer Programmers and Interactive Media Developers (NOC 2174)
Job Description: Computer programmers write, modify, and test computer code for different computer and software applications. Interactive media developers write, modify, and test computer code for film, computer games, Internet applications, and other interactive media.
Average Salary: $65,000 – $75,000 per year
- Multimedia Developer
- Software Developer
- Systems Programmer
3. Mechanical Engineering Technologists and Technicians (NOC 2232)
Job Description: Mechanical engineering technologists and technicians provide technical support and services. They may also work independently in different mechanical engineering fields such as developing, testing, and maintaining different types of machines.
Average Salary: $50,600 per year
- Mechanical Engineering Technician
- Mechanical Technologist
- Tool Designer
4. Construction Estimators (NOC 2234)
Job Description: Construction estimators analyze costs of and prepare estimates on civil engineering, architectural, structural, electrical, and mechanical construction projects.
Average Salary: $52,530 per year
- Chief Estimator – Construction
- Cost Estimator – Construction
- Quantity Surveyor – Construction
5. Electrical and Electronics Engineering Technologists and Technicians (NOC 2241)
Job Description: Electrical and electronics engineering technologists and technicians design, develop and test electrical and electronic equipment and systems.
Average Salary: $64,191 per year
- Communications Technologist
- Electrical Engineering Technologist
- Electronics Engineering Technician
6. Industrial Instrument Technicians and Mechanics (NOC 2243)
Job Description: Industrial instrument technicians and mechanics repair, maintain and install industrial measuring and controlling instrumentation.
Average Salary: $66,000 – $95,000 per year
- Industrial Instrument Mechanic
- Instrument Technician, Industrial
- Apprentice Industrial Instrument Mechanic
7. Inspectors in Public and Environmental Health and Occupational Health and Safety (NOC 2263)
Job Description: Inspectors in this group evaluate and monitor safety hazards and develop strategies to control risks in the workplace. They inspect workplaces to ensure that they have met government health standards.
Average Salary: $53,000 – $66,000 per year
- Environmental Health Officer
- Health and Safety Officer
- Public Health Inspector
8. Computer Network Technicians (NOC 2281)
Job Description: Computer network technicians operate, maintain, and co-ordinate the use of computer networks and equipment.
Average Salary: $42,730 per year
- Computer Network Technician
- Network Administrator
- System Administrator
9. Nursing Co-ordinators and Supervisors (NOC 3011)
Job Description: Workers in this field co-ordinate and supervise the activities of registered nursing personnel in the provision of patient care.
Average Salary: $81,362 per year
- Nursing Care Co-ordinator
- Nursing Supervisor
- Psychiatric Nursing Supervisor
10. Registered Nurses and Registered Psychiatric Nurses (NOC 3012)
Job Description: Registered nurses and registered psychiatric nurses provide direct nursing care to patients, and deliver health care programs and consultation services relevant to nursing.
Average Salary: $29.77 per hour
- Clinical Nurse
- Registered Psychiatric Nurse (R.P.N.)
- Nursing Consultant
11. Specialist Physicians (NOC 3111)
Job Description: This group includes specialist physicians in clinical medicine, in laboratory medicine and in surgery.
Average Salary: $186,018 per year
- General Pathologist
- General Surgeon
12. General Practitioners and Family Physicians (NOC 3112)
Job Description: General practitioners and family physicians diagnose and treat the diseases and injuries of their patients. They provide their patients with direct contact and continuous care.
Average Salary: $117,951 per year
- Family Physician
- General Practitioner (GP)
- Medical Doctor
13. Dietitians and Nutritionists (NOC 3132)
Job Description: Dieticians and nutritionists plan, oversee and apply nutrition and food service programs.
Average Salary: $65,000 – $75,000 per year
- Nutrition Specialist
- Public Health Dietitian
- Research Dietitian
14. Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists (NOC 3141)
Job Description: Audiologists diagnose, evaluate and treat patients with hearing loss and balance problems. Speech language pathologists diagnose, evaluate and treat human communication disorders.
Average Salary: $75,000 – $85,000 per year
- Clinical Audiologist
- Research Audiologist
- Educational Speech-Language Pathologist
15. Physiotherapists (NOC 3142)
Job Description: Physiotherapists plan and carry out programs designed to maintain, improve or restore the physical functions of their patients, as well as to relieve pain and prevent injury in their patients.
Average Salary: $35.05 per hour
- Physical Therapist
- Research Physiotherapist
16. Occupational Therapists (NOC 3143)
Job Description: Occupational therapists develop individual and group programs with people affected by illness, injury, emotional disorders or psychological problems to maintain, restore or increase their ability to care for themselves and to engage in work, school or leisure.
Average Salary: $58,949
- Clinical Occupational Therapist
- Community Occupational Therapist
- Occupational Therapy Rehabilitation Consultant
17. Respiratory Therapists, Clinical Perfusionists, and Cardiopulmonary Technologists (NOC 3214)
Job Description: Respiratory therapists assist physicians in the diagnosis, treatment and care of patients with respiratory and cardiopulmonary disorders. Clinical perfusionists provide technical support to patients undergoing cardiac surgery and patients requiring cardiorespiratory support. Cardiopulmonary Technologists assist physicians in the diagnosis and treatment of lung diseases.
Average Salary: $29.39 per hour
- Cardiopulmonary Technologist
- Registered Respiratory Therapist
- Clinical Perfusionist
18. Medical Radiation Technologists (NOC 3215)
Job Description: This group includes technologists who operate radiographic and radiation therapy equipment to perform radiation treatment and produce images of body structures to diagnose injury and disease.
Average Salary: $29.37 per hour
- Radiation Oncology Technologist
- Radiation Therapist
- Clinical Instructor, Radiation Therapy
19. Medical Sonographers (NOC 3216)
Job Description: Medical sonographers operate ultrasound equipment to produce and record images of different parts of the body to aid physicians in monitoring various parts of the body.
Average Salary: $65,000 – $75,000 per year
- Ultrasound Technologist
- Medical Sonographer
- Registered Diagnostic Medical Sonographer
20. Licensed Practical Nurses (NOC 3233)
Job Description: Licensed practical nurses provide nursing care usually under the direction of medical practitioners, registered nurses, or other health team members.
Average Salary: $23.96 per hour
- Graduate Nursing Assistant
- Licensed Practical Nurse
- Registered Nursing Assistant
21. Paramedical Occupations (NOC 3234)
Job Description: This group includes workers who provide pre-hospital emergency medical care to patients with injuries or medical illnesses and transport them to hospitals or other medical facilities for further care.
Average Salary: $50,000 – $60,000 per year
- Ambulance Attendant
- Emergency Medical Technician
22. University Professors and Lecturers (NOC 4011)
Job Description: University professors and lecturers teach courses to undergraduate and graduate students and conduct research at universities.
Average Salary: $115,513 per year
- Associate Professor, Linguistics
- English Professor, University
- Professor of Medicine, University
23. Psychologists (NOC 4151)
Job Description: Psychologists assess behavioural, cognitive and emotional disorders, and provide counsel and therapy for their patients. Additionally, they conduct research relating to behaviour and mental process.
Average Salary: $70,076 per year
- Clinical Psychologist
- Experimental Psychologist
- Research Psychologist
24. Early Childhood Educators and Assitants (NOC 4214)
Job Description: Early childhood educators and assistants provide care for infants and pre-school-aged children. They lead children in activities to stimulate and develop their physical, intellectual and emotional growth and ensure their security and well-being.
Average Salary: $14.70 per hour
- Daycare Supervisor
- Child Care Worker Assistant
- Preschool Helper
25. Translators, Terminologists and Interpreters (NOC 5125)
Job Description: Translators translate written material from one language to another. Interpreters translate oral communication from one language to another during speeches, meetings, debates, and hearings. Terminologists research to define terms in a certain field, and find their equivalent in other languages.
Average Salary: $50,356 per year
- Conference Interpreter
- Medical Terminologist
As of January 1st, 2015, the Government of Canada will be transitioning to a new immigration selection system known as Express Entry. As such, this will be applicants’ last chance to apply under the Federal Skilled Worker Program in its current form.