Information for foreign-trained occupational therapists

English: Warrior Transition Battalion squad le...
English: Warrior Transition Battalion squad leaders, platoon sergeants, occupational therapists, and physical therapists from Forts Stewart, Eustis, Polk, Leonard Wood, Bliss, Knox, Meade and the Warrior Transition Center in Virginia converged on Winn Army Community Hospital's Warrior Transition Battalion for a Train the Trainer Clinic, Sept. 21-23. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

(3143) Verified: 2011 10 05

Information on requirements to practise

The profession of occupational therapists is regulated in the provinces of Canada. This means that it is illegal to practise the profession or use the title of occupational therapist without being registered as a full member in a provincial regulatory body (see list below).  These regulatory bodies are responsible for setting the standards for entry into the profession and for registering those who meet established standards of qualifications and practice.
In the territories (Northwest Territories, Nunavut and Yukon), occupational therapists must be eligible to sit for the certification exam administered by the Canadian Association of Occupational Therapists (CAOT).
Once you know where you will settle and work, you should contact the appropriate regulatory body or CAOT for further information.  The contact information for CAOT is as follows:
Canadian Association of Occupational Therapists (CAOT)
CTTC Building
1125 Colonel By Drive, Suite 3400
Ottawa ON   K1S 5R1   Canada
Phone : 613-523-2268
Phone (alternate): 1-800-434-2268
Fax : 613-523-2552
Email : 

Information on assessment of qualifications

Although the provincial regulatory bodies of occupational therapists will provide information on how foreign credentials are evaluated once you are in Canada, most are not set up to assess foreign credentials before you arrive in Canada. Some regulatory bodies have made arrangements with evaluation services to perform the assessment of foreign credentials. You need to contact the appropriate regulatory body of occupational therapists directly (see list below) to find out about assessment procedures. The Canadian Association of Occupational Therapists can also provide information on assessments.
You should note that if you are already licensed to practise your occupation in a province or territory of Canada, and later wish to work in a non-regulated occupation, employers may request that you provide them with a formal assessment of your academic credentials.
If that is the case, or if you wish to have your credentials assessed for a purpose other than practising a regulated occupation in Canada, you may consult our Fact Sheet No. 2, "Assessment and recognition of credentials for the purpose of employment in Canada" and contact an academic credential evaluation service. Although evaluation services offer expert advice on how qualifications obtained abroad compare with academic credentials obtained in Canada, their evaluations are advisory only and do not guarantee recognition of your qualifications for employment or certification purposes in Canada. Please note that evaluation services charge a fee for their assessments.

Information on assessment for immigration purposes, under the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP)

The Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP) is an immigration program administered by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC), the department responsible for immigration to Canada.
CIC has listed this profession (NOC 3143) as an eligible occupation under the FSWP. To apply for immigration to Canada under this program, one of the requirements* is to obtain an “Educational Credential Assessment” (ECA) for immigration purposes from a CIC-designated organization. We invite you to communicate directly with one of the designated organizations to begin this process from outside Canada.
*It is important to note that this requirement is for immigration purposes only. It is separate from the process to obtain a license to practice from the relevant regulatory body listed below. Obtaining a license to practice is not required to apply for immigration.

Other relevant information

For a general description of duties and employment requirements, you can refer to the information prepared by Human Resources and Skills Development Canada regarding:

Specific Provincial/Territorial Information

 flechevertehaut.gif List of regulatory bodies


Alberta College of Occupational Therapists (ACOT)
300, 10436 – 81 Avenue
Edmonton AB   T6E 1X6   Canada
Phone : 780-436-8381
Phone (alternate): 1-800-561-5429
Fax : 780-434-0658
Email : 

British Columbia

College of Occupational Therapists of British Columbia (COTBC)
645 Fort Street, Suite 219 Yarrow Bldg
Victoria BC   V8W 1G2   Canada
Phone : (250) 386-6822
Phone (alternate): 1 (866) 386-6822
Fax : (250) 383-4144
Email : 


College of Occupational Therapists of Manitoba (COTM)
#7 - 120 Maryland Street
Winnipeg MB   R3G 1L1   Canada
Phone : 204-957-1214
Phone (alternate): 1-866-957-1214
Fax : 204-775-2340
Email : 

New Brunswick

New Brunswick Association of Occupational Therapists (NBAOT)
P.O. Box 3122
Sackville NB   E4L 4P2   Canada
Phone : 506-536-4394
Phone (alternate): 1-888-896-2244
Fax : 506-364-8464
Email : 

Newfoundland and Labrador

Newfoundland and Labrador Occupational Therapy Board (NLOTB)
P.O. Box 23076, RPO Churchill Square
St. John's NL   A1B 4J9   Canada
Phone : 709-697-4920
Fax : 709-383-0135
Email : 

Nova Scotia

College of Occupational Therapists of Nova Scotia (COTNS)
6960 Mumford Road, Suite 2132B
Halifax NS   B3L 4P1   Canada
Phone : 902-455-0556
Phone (alternate): 1-877-455-0556
Fax : 902-455-0621
Email : 


College of Occupational Therapists of Ontario
20 Bay Street, Suite 900, P.O. Box 78
Toronto ON   M5J 2N8   Canada
Phone : 416-214-1177
Phone (alternate): 1-800-890-6570
Fax : 416-214-1173
Email : 

Prince Edward Island

Prince Edward Island Occupational Therapists Registration Board (PEIOTRB)
P.O. Box 2248, Stn. Central
Charlottetown PE   C1A 8B9   Canada
Phone : (902) 894-1266
Fax : (902) 894-2062
Email : 


Ordre des ergothérapeutes du Québec (OEQ)
2021, avenue Union, bureau 920
Montréal QC   H3A 2S9   Canada
Phone : 514-844-5778
Phone (alternate): 1 800 265-5778
Fax : 514-844-0478
Email : 


Saskatchewan Society of Occupational Therapists (SSOT)
P.O. Box 9089
Saskatoon SK   S7K 7E7   Canada
Phone : 306-956-7768
Fax : 306-242-7941
Email : 
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to our newsletter

Recommended Books