Information for foreign-trained physiotherapists

Physical therapy
Physical therapy (Photo credit: United States Forces - Iraq (Inactive))

Information on requirements to practise
The profession of physiotherapist is regulated in all Canadian provinces and territories (except the Northwest Territories and Nunavut). It is illegal to practise this profession if you are not licensed or registered by the regulatory body for the jurisdiction in which you work. Only registered physiotherapists are eligible to use the terms "physiotherapist", "physical therapist" and the professional designation "PT".
The provincial/territorial regulatory bodies set the standards for entry into the profession and license or register physiotherapists to practise. An applicant must meet all the licensing or registration requirements of the province or territory where they will work. When you know where you will settle and work in Canada, contact the regulatory organization in that province or territory (see list below) about their requirements to practise.
The regulatory bodies in all provinces and in the Yukon are members of the Canadian Alliance of Physiotherapy Regulators (The Alliance).
Canadian Alliance of Physiotherapy Regulators (The Alliance)
1243 Islington Avenue, Suite 501
Toronto ON   M8X 1Y9   Canada
Phone : 416-234-8800
Fax : 416-234-8820
Email : 
The Alliance assesses the educational credentials and qualifications of physiotherapists educated outside Canada on behalf of the Yukon Territory and all the provincial regulators (except Quebec). This assessment determines if the applicant's education and qualifications are substantially equivalent (similar) to that of a Canadian educated physiotherapist, and if the applicant is eligible to write the "Physiotherapy Competency Examination" (PCE). Most provincial and territorial physiotherapy regulators require applicants educated outside of Canada, as well as most Canadian graduates, to complete the PCE. For specific information aboutpractising in Quebec, contact l'Ordre professionnel de la physiothérapie du Québec (see list below).
Once you have passed the written and clinical parts of the PCE, and fulfilled all of the requirements of the provincial or territorial regulator, you can apply to that regulator to become a fully licensed or registered physiotherapist.
The Canadian Physiotherapy Association (CPA) is a national professional organization with branches across Canada. For more information on the profession, contact the CPA at:
Canadian Physiotherapy Association (CPA)
955 Green Valley Crescent, Suite 270
Ottawa ON   K2C 3V4   Canada
Phone : 613-564-5454
Phone (alternate): 1-800-387-8679
Fax : 613-564-1577
Email : 
When you know where you will settle and work in Canada, you should contact the appropriate provincial regulator (see list below) for specific information about your jurisdiction.

Information on assessment of qualifications

Consult The Alliance's on-line information on credentialling process for eligibility for the Physiotherapy Competency Examination. Note that this evaluation does not guarantee employment and that The Alliance charges a fee for their service.
You should note that if you are already licensed to practise your occupation in a province or territory of Canada, and later wish to work in a non-regulated occupation, employers may request that you provide them with a formal assessment of your academic credentials.
If that is the case, or if you wish to have your credentials assessed for a purpose other than practising a regulated occupation in Canada, you may consult our Fact Sheet No. 2, "Assessment and recognition of credentials for the purpose of employment in Canada" and contact an academic credential evaluation service. Although evaluation services offer expert advice on how qualifications obtained abroad compare with academic credentials obtained in Canada, their evaluations are advisory only and do not guarantee recognition of your qualifications for employment or certification purposes in Canada. Please note that evaluation services charge a fee for their assessments.

Information on assessment for immigration purposes, under the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP)

The Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP) is an immigration program administered by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC), the department responsible for immigration to Canada.
CIC has listed this profession (NOC 3142) as an eligible occupation under the FSWP. To apply for immigration to Canada under this program, one of the requirements* is to obtain an “Educational Credential Assessment” (ECA) for immigration purposes from a CIC-designated organization. We invite you to communicate directly with one of the designated organizations to begin this process from outside Canada.
*It is important to note that this requirement is for immigration purposes only. It is separate from the process to obtain a license to practice from the relevant regulatory body listed below. Obtaining a license to practice is not required to apply for immigration.

Specific Provincial/Territorial Information

toc / tdmList of provincial regulators


Physiotherapy Alberta (formerly the College of Physical Therapists of Alberta)
10357 - 109 Street, Suite 300
Edmonton AB   T5J 1N3   Canada
Phone : 780-438-0338
Phone (alternate): 1-800-291-2782
Fax : 780-436-1908
Email : 

British Columbia

College of Physical Therapists of British Columbia (CPTBC)
Suite 1420, 1200 West 73rd Avenue
Vancouver BC   V6P 6G5   Canada
Phone : 604-730-9193
Fax : 604-730-9273
Email : 


College of Physiotherapists of Manitoba (CPTMB)
211 - 675 Pembina Highway
Winnipeg MB   R3M 2L6   Canada
Phone : 204-287-8502
Fax : 204-474-2506
Email : 

New Brunswick

College of Physiotherapists of New Brunswick (CPNB)
82 Germain St., Suite 2C
Saint John NB   E2L 2E7   Canada
Phone : 506-642-9760
Fax : 506-642-9770
Email : 

Newfoundland and Labrador

Newfoundland and Labrador College of Physiotherapists (NLCPT)
P.O. Box 21351
St. John's NL   A1A 5G6   Canada
Phone : 709-753-6527
Fax : 709-753-6526
Email : 

Nova Scotia

Nova Scotia College of Physiotherapists (NSCP)
15 Brookdale Cres.
Dartmouth NS   B3A 2R3   Canada
Phone : 902-454-0158 Ext. 1
Phone (alternate): 1-866-225-1060
Fax : 902-245-3134
Email : 


College of Physiotherapists of Ontario
375 University Avenue, Suite 901
Toronto ON   M5G 2J5   Canada
Phone : 416-591-3828
Phone (alternate): 1-800-583-5885
Fax : 416-591-3834
Email : 

Prince Edward Island

Prince Edward Island College of Physiotherapists (PEICP)
P.O. Box 20078
Charlottetown PE   C1A 9E3   Canada
Phone : 902-894-2063
Fax : 902-894-2490 


Ordre professionnel des physiothérapeutes du Québec (OPQ)
7151, rue Jean-Talon Est, bureau 1000
Anjou QC   H1M 3N8   Canada
Phone : 514-351-2770
Phone (alternate): 1-800-361-2001
Fax : 514-351-2658
Email : 


Saskatchewan College of Physical Therapists (SCPT)
320 21st Street West, Suite 102
Saskatoon SK   S7M 4E6   Canada
Phone : 306-931-6661
Phone (alternate): 1-877-967-7278
Fax : 306-931-7333
Email : 


Professional Licensing, Department of Community Services, Government of Yukon
P.O. Box 2703, (C-5)
Whitehorse YT   Y1A 2C6   Canada
Phone : 867-667-5111
Fax : 867-667-3609
Email : 
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chat with us

Leave us a message

Next Event

Check our online courses now

Check our online courses now
Click Here now!!!!

Subscribe to our newsletter