Information on Parent and Grandparent Super Visa

About the Super Visa

On November 4, 2011, CIC announced a temporary pause on all new sponsorship applications for the parents and grandparents category. With the introduction of this pause, CIC implemented a long-term Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) for applicants seeking to visit their child or grandchild who is either a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.
The single or multiple-entry Super Visa allows visitors to stay for a period of up to two years.
Important information. Applicants who do not require a visa must also submit an application to the visa office.

Who may apply for a Super Visa?

To apply for the Super Visa you must either be the parent or grandparent of a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada.
Note: You cannot include your dependent children in this application. Only your spouse or common-law partner is eligible to accompany you under this provision.

What must I do to obtain a SuperVisa?

In order to obtain a Super Visa, you will need to apply at a visa office and provide:
  • evidence of the parent or grandparent relationship to the Canadian citizen or permanent resident you wish to visit (e.g. birth certificate, baptismal certificate or other official documents naming you as parent),
  • letter of invitation from your child or grandchild which includes arrangements for care and support,
  • proof from your child or grandchild that he meets the Low Income Cut-Off (LICO)
  • proof that you have private medical insurance valid for a minimum of one year from a Canadian insurance company and that:
    • covers health care, hospitalization and repatriation,
    • provides a minimum coverage of $100 000, and
    • is valid for each entry to Canada and be available for review by a port of entry officer.
Note: You will be required to undergo a medical examination. Medical instructionswill be provided to you by the visa office. You are not required to complete a medical examination before you submit your application forms.

What must my child or grandchild do to meet the LICO minimum?

You child or grandchild’s income must meet or exceed the minimum necessary, as identified annually in the Income Table.
In the letter of invitation he must calculate his family size. This factor determines the amount of income required of him to provide care and support for you and your spouse, if applicable. He may use the table below to calculate the family size:
  1. Your child or grandchild counts:
    • Himself
    • His spouse or common-law partner,
    • His dependent children,
    • any person he may have sponsored previously and for whom the sponsorship agreement and undertaking are still in effect.
  2. He counts the number of persons he will be supporting :
    • You, and
    • Your spouse or common-law partner, if applicable.
  3. He adds the number of persons covered by steps 1 and 2. The total represents his family size.
  4. He looks at the LICO in the Income Table in this guide to determine if he meets the minimum required for his family size.
  5. To demonstrate that he meets the minimum income required, your child or grandchild may include one of the documents listed in the Document Checklist (IMM 5484).

Effective from January 1 to December 31 2011
Your child or grandchild may use the following income scale to assess their ability to meet the income requirements.

Low Income Cut-Off (LICO)

Size of Family UnitMinimum necessary income
1 person (your child or grandchild)$22,229
2 persons$27,674
3 persons$34,022
4 persons$41,307
5 persons$46,850
6 persons$52,838
7 persons$58,827
More than 7 persons, for each additional person, add$5,989

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Live streaming

Powered by

Subscribe to Nexus Canada Videos

Next Event

Leave us a message

Check our online courses now

Check our online courses now
Click Here now!!!!

Subscribe to our newsletter